Thursday 10 March 2011

The roar is on the horizon...

I will be there on Tuesday to listen to the roar as the racing brethren holds its breath in anticipation of day one of the greatest show on earth. If you haven't been then please do so. It is simply stunning! The gathering racehorses framed against the glorious backdrop of Cleeve Hill. Tres magnifique!

Which brings me nicely onto the first race of the first day - the Supreme Novices' Hurdle and the French-bred Spirit Son is, at this stage, my selection - backed many weeks ago at 20/1 and yet to be laid off! I was at the Newbury Festival Preview last night and Tom Symonds (NH's Assistant) spoke eloquently, as ever. He started by saying Barry had a difficult choice but left us all in no doubt which was the yard's first choice. I expect Sprinter Sacre to be prominent in the Arkle betting a year on! Back Spirit Son with Paddy Power - Cue Card concession has to be of interest.

Cue Card is obviously a major threat. He has to go close; his Cheltenham record alone sets him apart. I think he will be done for toe when it matters. Don't underestimate Magen's Star if she turns up here. Lady weight concession; it's the ground which might be important though I have lost count of the number of Irish horses to have improved for better ground at the Festival (stand up Willie Mullins and take a bow!) though perhaps not this one!

Talking of Master Willie (1980 Derby nearly man), please do not get sucked into the So Young gamble. You have missed the price! The balance of his form leaves him well adrift of the main protagonists. Not saying it won't win but at that price it can go unbacked.

The Arkle is a disappointing race this year. Given a right-handed track, I am all over Captain Chris but I doubt he will stand his ground. Medermit has questions to answer for me - one refusal plus no Cheltenham victory despite several attempts scream 3/1 is too short. I took 14s and laid at 6.6 so happy with that position.

Liked Dan Breen but he smacks a bit of So Young without the hyperbole... word is D Pipe is excited about him but form's not quite of the right vintage. A place perhaps though! I like Realt Dubh increasingly. Graded race form; though course an unknown and, to some degree, the going. I just can't get a handle on Ghizao but my incompetence is not the horse's fault! He's in the Possibly category.

The William Hill; sorry Stewart Family HC (I've gone all Whitbread again!) next - as a famous couch would say I could not back Bensalem with counterfeit! Talented yes; lucky to be alive yes, worthy favourite perhaps but in this oh so competitve heat his jumping frailties make the price a heinous crime. Money where mouth is: Sunnyhillboy and Quantitativeeasing (hope you are reading this Slug in your favourite resting place at the top of the hill in front of the stands). Mr Scahill (have I spelt that correctly!) you are a God!

The Cross Country during the Festival is the domain of the regular and you cannot get more regular than last year's winner so it's A New Story for me! Enda's creatures not quite on  their game and Maljimar always manages to spoil his ballot paper!

As she's done it before, it's tempting to back Quevega to again tut at anyone who doubts she can have a lifetime away from the track then return to win like Pegasus. It looks a decent field in opposition and she's no certainty - too short for me! Probably won't play!

The Centenary race (used to be the Jewson before the Jewson jocked itself off to ride another race). No idea at the moment. Ask me on Monday evening!

And so to Tuesday's crowning glory - The Champion Hurdle - not so much a spectacle more a fully qualified opthalmist optician. Binocular (appropriate next word) - "deja vu" all over again according to Tom -  has a favourite's chance (or will he be!), Peddler's - working well but will he be quick enough (my very lumpy ante-post wager not yet laid off, hopes so! Menorah ( I keep underestimating him!) and Hurricane Fly (I love him) but will he act at Prestbury? Will he sulk if he cannot beat Solwhit? Is his classic winning sire destined never to father one first past the lollipop at the Festival? I am undecided. If he does win I hope the bookies will let me have a bet after the event on Thousand Stars to be placed - not too far behind in Irish equivalent).

Then there's the enigma that is Khyber Kim ( not the winner but might shake them up a tad!). Oscar Whisky cannot win according to Tom (must be a son of Accordion) and Mille Chief is up against it but all class! Having backed Peddler's early doors at fancy prices I may stick with him but it's all too close to call. I will wait for the day when I am there and the money is going down.

Incidentally, thank you to David Stevens of Corals (you know who you are) for sticking around and smiling whilst my visually-impaired pal, ably assisted by yours truly, completed our Free Bet forms last night as the room steadily emptied. Grateful thanks to Corals for this generous offer and for employing such a nice man! So who did you pick I hear you shout (not!) - my nap of the week. Tell you tomorrow.

RM (Mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment