Sunday 27 February 2011

Wet Wet Wet - rain is all around you..!

Good afternoon.


I resisted the temptation to submit my thoughts on this weekend's fare because of the prevailing ground conditions which, so often, impact upon current form.


I was at Kempton Park yesterday for what was a good day's fare. I see that Paul Nicholls almost pulled his runners out due to the going but, although the finishers were well strung out, the placed horses didn't appear to finish that tired. I suppose the race times will tell the true story. The always significant Adonis Hurdle witnessed a fairly decent time and was won impressively by the blue-blooded Zarkandar. I hope you all got on at the 33s for the Triumph before the race, as suggested, leaving one and all in the privileged position of a very positive trading outcome this morning. I think Nicholls' comments were significant this morning and now predict that Zarkandar will be favourite for the Triumph assuming he gets there on the day.


Exciting indeed!


I backed Quinz (travelled like a dream but looked beaten when the veteran Mount Oscar loomed up in the home straight) and Bakbenscher (jumped like a dog - or at least a dog that cannot jump!) in the Racing Post Chase. I also backed Spirit De Ferbet (messed up the first and didn't go a yard thereafter) and Nicene Creed (impressive performance by the Tizzard animal Coup Royale who, I was told, looked a picture in the paddock - still didn't back it; baulked at the price!).


The opportunity to back Oscar Magic in the bumper - a newcomer from the Twiston yard and identified by the Sporting Life's daily gallops reports midweek - was spurned!


It was extraordinary seeing Companero climb over the last in yesterday's Eider. I don't think I have ever seen a horse jump a fence from a standing start before. I suggest that you leave the main protagonists (only three finished the race) well alone should any of them reppear in the next few weeks. Bottomed I should imagine!


Today's Festival suggestion is Mossley in the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle. How it is possible to obtain 25s is beyond me. The piece of form he showed at Cheltenham's December meeting is of the highest quality. Conceding 4lbs to Join Together (bizarrely 8/1 in the same market) is outstanding. Mossley looked highly impressive to these eyes that day; don't just believe me look at the Racing Post race analysis. His current odds appear to have been dictated by his distant 5th behind Court In Motion on desperate ground at Warwick.

From a top yard, likely to be ridden by Geraghty (Cheltenham Festival top jockey-elect by the way), top-class course and distance form and the ground will probably be perfect. Fill your boots!

One eyecatcher from yesterday - Ivor's King; crept stealthily into the bumper and ran on well. A son of the "new kid on the block" King's Theatre (sire of Cue Card) and trained by the Tizzards, he looks sure to win races perhaps on a stiffer track than Kempton and on better ground.  

That's all for now. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

Rm (Mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment